Gluten-Free Flatbread Recipe
Serving size: 2-3 crusts
- 3 cups gluten free flour
- 3/4 cup hi-maize fiber*
- 1 teaspoon instant yeast
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups lukewarm water, enough to make a smooth, soft dough
*Hi-maize gives the crust an extra crisp bottom; if you don’t have it, use a total of 3 3/4 cups gluten free flour.
Tomato Sauce, pesto, cooked Meats, vegetables, and cheeses of your choice
- Dough: Mix and knead together all of the dough ingredients, by hand, mixer or bread machine, till you’ve created a smooth, soft dough.
- Allow the dough to rise, covered, for 1 hour; then shape and bake as directed below. Or refrigerate dough for up to 2 days; this step will develop the crust’s flavor.
- Divide the dough in half (or in thirds, for cracker-thin crust).
- Shape each piece into a 10″ to 14″ circle or rectangle (thicker or thinner crust), and place each on a piece of parchment paper or greased pan.
- Allow to rise for 30 minutes or so, covered, while preheating the oven to 475°F.
- Top pizza any way you choose. Bake for 12 minutes, till brown and crisp. For the crispiest pizza, bake the crust for 8 minutes, until set, before topping with sauce and cheese; then bake for an additional 4 minutes.